I just completed my Nassa the Gnome model. One of the upcoming assignments is to take a character model and rig, animate, and mocap with it. We were given the option to make our own character model, which I jumped on (after complaining to my friends that I don't have any time.) Not having any other character designs available, I went with Nassa the Gnome from our D&D campaign, since I had several drawings of her already, as well as an image fleshed out in my mind.
This is technically my first complete character model that I built from start to finish without anyone else handling it in-between. I tried to focus on making it low-poly, both as a challenge and to save painting-weights work. I ended up at 1243 tris, 243 over my 1k tri limit. I could easily cut it down by removing from the head and hands, but it was only a soft goal. The head ended up getting about 1/3 of the tri's, since the head and hair were important for identifying the character. I also modeled the whole thing without orthos to see how it would feel.
The outfit on the model is slightly different from the sketches I had
drawn before, as she got a new set of armor towards the last few
sessions, and it gives me an excuse to not have to deal with cloth. I may come back and add textures, but the point of the piece was the model and animation, and less on finishing the model.